If your teeth are decayed, cracked, or otherwise damage due to trauma or an accident, dental crowns are a possible solution that can improve your dental health and prevent potential problems in the future.
What are Dental Crowns?
A dental crown is a “cap” that is placed over a decayed or damaged tooth to improve both appearance and function. By covering the bad tooth, a dental crown restores lost shape, size, and strength. It is custom-made to match your tooth size, alignment, and bite.
There are several reasons why dental crowns may be needed:
- To protect a weak, decayed, or cracked tooth
- To restore an already-broken or worn tooth
- To fill a large gap where there isn’t much tooth left
- To anchor a dental bridge
- To cover severely stained, discolored, or misshapen teeth
- To make a cosmetic modification
- To complete a dental implant
Different Types of Dental Crowns
Depending on your unique needs and concerns, your dental crown may be made from different materials:
- Metal—Applications where strength and durability are the biggest considerations, such as molars. The chief disadvantage is their metallic appearance.
- All-Ceramic—Applications where appearance is the most important concern, such as incisors and canines. The chief disadvantage to ceramic crowns is they aren’t as strong as metal ones.
- Porcelain-Fused-to-Metal—These are hybrid crowns that offer the best of both worlds. They have a more natural-looking appearance than metal dental crowns and they are strong.
To find out if dental crowns are the best solution to your oral health needs, call Pierce Aesthetics of Newport Beach today to set up an appointment.